An allergy is an overreaction of the body’s immune system to a foreign protein that is inhaled, ingested, or touched. Symptoms range from coughing and sneezing to itchy eyes and runny nose. A severe allergic reaction can result in rashes, hives, and difficulty breathing. Unfortunately, there is no cure for allergies. However, management strategies can greatly reduce symptoms and keep patients safe.
At The Allergy and Environmental Treatment Center, LLC, Dr. Liszewski and the allergy team are equipped with the tools and resources to bring vitality back into our patients’ lives. One of our best services is continual education for patients. Understanding their allergies and how to avoid/manage symptoms in their daily life is essential for treatment and a greater sense of well being. Located in Scottsdale, The Allergy and Environmental Treatment Center, LLC is the leading allergy management facility in all of Arizona.
There are hundreds of allergy misconceptions that patients hear about. Dr. Liszewski cautions patients in believing everything they hear, and recommends them to consult with him before taking action on handling allergy symptoms. Please refer to the following 6 allergy myths as we aim to debunk the truth.
1. You Can’t be Allergic to Organic Food. While organic foods are free of harmful pesticides, they still contain proteins that cause allergic reactions.
2. Allergic Reactions Are Rarely Serious. Unfortunately, people can have a serious reaction to allergens, which may result in breathing difficulties or even skin rashes, fatigue, difficulty with sleep, and gastrointestinal discomfort.
3. Food Allergies Are Extremely Common. According to The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), “Only 6 percent of children and 1 to 2 percent of adults have a food allergy.” The majority of the time, people suffer from food intolerances or food sensitivities, which can negatively impact your personal and/or professional life.
4. Pet Fur Triggers Allergies. People are allergic to proteins in animals’ skin cells, saliva, or urine—not their fur.
5. A Small Bite is OK. Any amount of ingested food to which you are allergic to can cause a severe reaction. Consuming less will not cause less of an allergic reaction. Play it safe and stay away.
6. Milk Allergy is Very Common. People who have trouble digesting the sugar in milk have a “lactose intolerance,” not a milk allergy. People will demonstrate a sensitivity to the mold found in dairy. If tested and found positive, avoid dairy for 3-4 months.
Providing the most comprehensive testing, diagnosis, and treatment of allergy diseases, The Allergy & Environmental Treatment Center, LLC is the leading allergy clinic in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area. If you suffer from environmental, food, or chemical allergies, don’t wait any longer and call us now at (480) 634-2985!
The advice and information contained in this article is for educational purposes only, and is not intended to replace or counter a physician’s advice or judgment. Please always consult your physician before taking any advice learned here or in any other educational medical material.
@The Allergy & Environmental Treatment Center, LLC, 2014Leave a reply →